HUNTERS CHICKEN DIJON
This is a one pot dish for 3-4 people.
I used a 12 inch cast iron pan. The recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of Dijon , use less if you’re not a fan.
4 large boneless skinless chicken breast
4 tablespoons of fat, I used beef fat
12 cloves of garlic smashed
8 oz package of wild mushrooms sliced , I used crimini
1 leek sliced in half moons and washed well ( leeks are filthy)
1 pint grape tomatoes
1 pint demi glacé ( wegmans has this)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon tapioca
4 oz water
first off use a seperate cutting board . I always cut off a good 4 inches of the dark green top, it tends to be a bit woody.
then you want to cut off the roots. slice the remaining leek length wise and then across in 1/4 to 1/2
inch slices. you will see how filthy this sucker is!!!
fill a bowl or pot with cold water add the cut up leeks and work the leeks with your hands to seperate
the layers, this will force out the sand. let them rest for a moment so all the sand sinks then scoop them out with a strainer or slotted spoon. let drain.
method to the madness!!
1) season breast with salt and pepper on each side.
2) add 2 tablespoons of fat to the pan, i used a 12 in cast iron pan.
3) when fat is hot add the chicken. cook 2-3 mins per side and remove to a plate.
4) add the last 2 tablespoons of fat to the pan and when its melted add the garlic and
5) add the mushrooms,leeks and grape tomatoes and cook for about 5 mins, stir occasionally.
6) add the chicken back into the pan with the juices and then add the pint of demi.
7) once the demi is simmering you can stir in the mustard.
8) let this simmers for about 5 mins.
9) mix the tapioca and water together, NO LUMPS!
10) pour the tapioca into the pan and stir till combined.
11) simmer another 2 mins and DONE!!!
At this point taste it, the store bought demi may be seasoned enough that you wont need salt and pepper, if not add some.
You can serve this with mashed sweet potatoes or cauliflower rice