HUNTERS STEW WITH VENISON
Great hearty stew that you can make in the slow cooker the night before.
Don’t get too hung up on how big you dice/chop ingredients in this recipe,
remember its “hunter” stew so think rough chop!!
3 lb venison roast, fat and silver skin removed.
1 teaspoon salt and pepper mix.
3 tablespoons oil, i used coconut
1 medium onion chopped
4 ribs of celery chopped
2 small yams chopped or one large. if you can find true yams go with that over sweet potato
8 oz package of mushrooms sliced , baby bellas work well.
1 pint container cherry or grape tomato, no chopping needed
8 oz baby carrots
6 cloves garlic, smashed or whole, your call
1 sprig fresh sage, picked and chopped
4 in long spring of fresh rosemary, picked and chopped
2 bay leaf, fresh if you can find them
1 cup red wine
4 cups beef broth, i used the store bought carton type
1) cut venison to about one in cubes and season with salt and pepper mix
2) heat2 tablespoons oil in cast iron pan, or heaviest pan you have. oil should be very hot
we want to sear the meat brown.
3) brown meat for a 2 minutes before turning, brown for 2 more minutes. turn heat off and
remove from pan, set aside. the venison will release some juices while it sits, this is good
stuff we will use it later!!
4) turn heat back on and add 1 tablespoon of oil, dont worry about the sticky stuff in the pan
its tasty and it will come off when you add the red wine!!!
5) add onions and garlic and brown well say 5 minutes or so. add herbs ( bay, sage and rosemary)
6) add red wine and simmer this until its evaporates buy 75% this will concentrate the flavors .
7) ok every body in the pool !! ( slow cooker) add the venison, reduced wine and rest of ingredients
to your slow cooker.
8) set on low 4-6 hours, over night works too unless you sleep like a teenager!!
9) if you wish to thicken the stew a bit after cooking feel free. just remove 8 oz of the stew
broth and stir in 3-4 tablespoons of rice flour or wondra flour and pour mixture back into
cooker for 15 minutes on high.